You spent a great deal of time researching and deciding which mattress is best, right? It’s been delivered and now you can relax with family, kids or pets as you spend time together enjoying this new mattress choice.
Did you know that how you maintain and care for your mattresses, will impact the quality of your sleep and health? We spend a good part of each day snuggled up to our mattress, so it makes perfect sense to protect our investment and support good health. When purchasing a brand new mattress, you can protect it from dust mites, sweat, dust, pet hair and spills in several different ways.
Let’s dive into some relevant pointers on how you can extend the life of your mattress.
The most highly recommended method to protect your new mattress is by covering it with a zippered mattress encasement that covers the top, bottom and sides. Ideally, this should be done before using your new mattress but it can be done at any time. This seals the mattress, protecting it from dust mites, pet hair, dust or debris settling into the interior of your investment, which will minimize allergens. You’ll want to launder the encasement before placing it over your mattress, as it is something you may not remove during the lifespan of your mattress.
If your encasement is not waterproof, consider adding a waterproof mattress cover over your encasement to protect from stains or spills. You can regularly launder this cover, which provides additional protection to your mattress encasement and freshens your bed regularly. Our Fabrictech StainGuard Cotton Terry Mattress Protector is a good option to consider.
- Regular maintenance of deep cleaning your mattress will extend its life. Using the crevice tool of your vacuum cleaner, you can easily remove the dust, debris, pet hair and dead skin cells from the sides, top and along the welting of your mattress fabric and box spring, if you have one.
- There are several good, non-toxic methods to successfully remove stains and odors from your mattress fabric or covers.
- When considering how to clean your mattress, remember to never saturate it with water or liquid solutions, as it will be difficult to dry from the moisture and can create an environment for mildew to grow.
- To whiten a stain you can try a 50/50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and water in a spray bottle. Lightly spray and blot with a clean cloth. Redo the process if necessary. Allow to air dry completely before replacing bedding.
- To freshen your mattress from odors with a non-toxic product, consider sprinkling a small amount of baking soda onto the mattress fabric, lightly blending it in with your fingers and allowing it to work for approximately 15 minutes. Vacuum the surface of the fabric to remove.
Go here to review some additional helpful tips to prolong the life of your mattress.
Come visit us at our El Paso and Las Cruces store locations, where our experts will be happy to educate you about our bedding options, sharing with you the latest technology in mattresses and sleep health.